Pharmacy technicians can be defined as para professionals working under supervision of licensed pharmacists. They generally offer assistance with activities that do not need the professional judgment of a pharmacist. Some of the duties pharmacy technicians help with include:
- Maintaining records
- Filling and dispensing prescription and medication orders
- Maintaining drug supply inventories
- Stocking supplies in different patient care areas
- Preparing sterile compound care products
- Providing necessary pharmacy practice assistance to patients and customers
They have promising careers in traditional pharmacy settings, both in hospital and retail pharmacies. They also get employed in non-traditional pharmacy settings like in nuclear and compounding pharmacies. Healthcare careers come with lots of upsides and this is not any different with pharmacy technician. Some of the top reasons why you should consider becoming one include;
1. Fast growth in jobs meaning that chances of landing a job in the industry are very high.
2. Shorter certification period usually taking less than a year for you to complete a certification program and get the necessary certification to get you started.
3. The job offers lots of satisfaction assisting others; if you love feeling helpful, especially to those in need, then you will definitely love being a pharmacy technician.
4. You will have a variety of work options. You can work in retail pharmacies in hospitals and even pharmaceutical companies. Apart from being able to choose the environment you feel suits your personal interests best, you also may enjoy more patient care responsibilities especially when filling larger roles in pharmacy operations.
5. They have higher advancement opportunities as they continue gaining experience in the area. There are lots of health care career options open where the experience can work as leverage.
Becoming a pharmacy technician
A high school diploma and some formal training will be necessary for you to become a pharmacy technician. The first step would be to complete a pharmacy technician program. Community colleges and vocational schools offer the program and the training can take at least a year to complete, after which you will be awarded with a certificate or associate’s degree. During the training you will be familiar with pharmacy procedures, medications, pharmacy law and pharmaceutical terminology.
After training, it may be necessary to be certified. This may mean that you get some kind of experience. You can take part in an internship program to fetch you the needed experience in the field. During such an internship under the supervision of a professional pharmacy technician you also get to learn about medication names, actions and dosages.
The most exciting thing about becoming a pharmacy technician is that you get to be engaged physically since most tasks need to be done by hand. You should however be aware that you may spend most time on your feet and you may even have to work on weekends and at night as well depending on the demands of the facility you are attached to.
A pharmacy technician certification program Pittsburg KS is short and enters you into the workforce pretty fast after gaining you the necessary knowledge and skills in the field.
By: Satvik Mittal
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/expert/Satvik_Mittal/1728302
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/9654666